CHINESE CHICKEN WITH FARRO
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound snow peas, cut on the diagonal
- 8 green and yellow pattypan squash, chopped small
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
To prepare the farro, bring a 2-quart pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the farro, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer until the farro is tender and the grains have split open, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Coat a wok or large wide skillet with the oil and place over medium-high heat. Give the oil a minute to heat up, then add the garlic, ginger, and scallions; stir-fry for 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant. Add the snow peas and pattypan squash. Cook, tossing the vegetables, until tender. Move the ingredients to the side of the pan and pour the egg into the center. Scramble the egg lightly, just until set but not brown. Add the chicken, tossing quickly to incorporate. Fold in the cooked farro and toss everything together to combine well, breaking up any clumps with the back of a spatula.
Moisten with the soy sauce. Toss the ingredients together to heat through. Spoon the chicken farro out onto a serving platter.
Mon, November 5, 2012
by Good Stuff Eatery filed under